Download WordPress 2.8.1 Beta 1 – First Maintenance Release to 2.8
WordPress 2.8 named “Baker” was released around 10 days back with many improvements to themes, widgets, taxonomies and overall speed. But there were some Bugs in WordPress 2.8 which are fixed in the first maintenance release, WordPress 2.8.1. Today the first beta of WordPress 2.8.1 is released with some handful of bugs fixed.
Bugs that are fixed in WordPress 2.8.1 Beta 1
- Calling get_categories() in certain themes is failing in 2.8. 2.8.1 works around this so these themes won’t have to change.
- Dashboard memory usage is reduced. Also fixed the dashboard failing issue on anonymous comment after upgrading to 2.8
- The automatic upgrade no longer accidentally deletes files while cleaning up from a failed upgrade.
- Flash Uploader, UTF-8 encoding and code optimizations for timezone dropdown builder.
- A problem where the rich text editor wasn’t being loaded due to compression issues has been worked around.
- Extra security has been put in place to better protect you from plugins that do not do explicit permission checks.
- Fixed upgrade notification even though the latest version is present.
Most of the bugs that are fixed in WordPress 2.8.1 Beta 1 release are related to Upgrade/Install component. If you would like to get onto a development upgrade path to try WordPress 2.8.1 Beta 1, change the line “$wp_version = ’2.8′;” present in version.php to “$wp_version = ’2.8.1-dev’;“.